Our son Maxton was diagnosed with left-sided congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) at his 19 week ultrasound. Maxton was born on 3/3/09 at Vanderbilt University. He fought hard for 18 days but earned his wings on 3/21/09. Maxton was an inspiration to many during his brief time on earth and has forever changed our lives. If your child is diagnosed with CDH, please feel free to contact us. Maxton may no longer live here on earth, but he will live forever in our hearts...

To start at the beginning of our story click here and scroll all the way to the bottom.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Holding his own

Maxton has been hanging in there today. I called to check on him in the middle of the night and he was doing pretty good. He is on alot of support right now, which has them concerned, but he is maintaining his levels. His blood pressure looks good. In the middle of the night he wasn't splitting, which is a sign of pulmonary hypertension. His per and post sats were both in the high 90s. When we got there this morning; however, things weren;t looking all that great. His heart rate was in the 190s and his pre sats were like 80 and post were in the 50s. They decided to bump up his vent a little and things started to improve. Within about 30 mintues his sats were back in the 90s (pre) and 80s (post), with his heart rate in the 150s. When we left both sats were in the 90s or even 100. I called a few mintues ago to check on him and he has maintained things this afternoon and he has even tolerated a small bump back down on the vent. They are going to try to wean it a little more and hopefully he will also tolerate that.

As far as the brain bleed goes, I haven't really heard much about it today. They did an ultrasound earlier but since we left before the results we havent heard. I do know they haven't had to give him any blood products today so I am guessing it has not been continuing to bleed. They gave him some plasma yesterday so hopefully that did the trick.

We were told that little Hoss is the sickest baby in the unit right now, which was pretty hard to hear. I feel blessed that he is here and love every minute I can spend with him. I am hoping that he maintains himself today and continues to be able to tolerate the small weans. :-) Thanks for checking in on little Hoss and know that we feel so blessed by your support and prayers!


Craig and Kristi Kuehl said...

Praying hard for Maxton. I have such mixed emotions right now, knowing that we will be there, too, in three weeks. You guys are doing such a great job--stay positive and Max will feed off of that! I wish I could give you a hug or somehow make it better... but all I can do is ask God to heal our sons.

Tracy Meats said...

Praying hard for your little boy and strength for you and your husband during this time. Keep fighting Maxton!!

Ashworth Family said...

I don't mean to say this with every post, but they said the same thing about Davis in regards to the "sickest baby in the NICU" comment. It is hard to hear, but know that things will get better. I hated to hear them say that, but after the repair everything changed. This is the hardest part and it will only get better from here. We are praying for you every day!

The Vierig's said...

Fight hard little are definitely a handsome little fellow! Prayers are on and will continue!!