Our son Maxton was diagnosed with left-sided congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) at his 19 week ultrasound. Maxton was born on 3/3/09 at Vanderbilt University. He fought hard for 18 days but earned his wings on 3/21/09. Maxton was an inspiration to many during his brief time on earth and has forever changed our lives. If your child is diagnosed with CDH, please feel free to contact us. Maxton may no longer live here on earth, but he will live forever in our hearts...

To start at the beginning of our story click here and scroll all the way to the bottom.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Another Update

Earlier today we were told that Maxton would definately be on ECMO and they got us to sign consent and everything. we were told the procedure would take an hour so when they called 30 minutes later and asked us to come back for a patient consult I about freaked out. I was half crying going back there and my poor "rock" of a husband looked like he was about to lose it. We thought the worse had happened.

I am not sure if what they have told us is neccessarily good news but he is not on ECMO at this time. Maxton has small bit of bleeding in his brain and it has increased slightly since yesterday so they decided that they cannot do ECMO on him at this time. Basically the docotr said that if they did ECMO today there would be a 5% chance that he would live but that he would mostly bleed out. They did tell us that that may change and he still may end up on ECMO but that it would be unlikely unless they thought death was certain. Pretty scary to hear that, let me tell you.

Luckily, in the 30 mintues between doing ECMO and then not doing ECMO they were able to get him stablized. His sats are still splitting. He has sats being monitored in two places and they would like them to be close together, within about 5 numbers, but Maxtons are 100 in one place in the 70s-80s in the other. He is now on a high oscilating vent which is working fairly well. He has had a couple of episodes since the ECMO talks but has been bagged and been able to recover. He is also on several new meds. His blood pressure seems to be somewhat stable. His pulse is fairly high, at around 160. (earlier it was like 220 so we will take 160!) They also had to put in another PICC line earlier as they have been sticking him all day trying to get him stable.

They also mentioned earlier that Maxton may have an infection because some of his liver readings were "off". The doctor said that they actually hope this is the case because that would explain many of the problems that they have had today. They have swithced antibiotics hoping that the switch will knock out any infection and help stabilize little man.

I cannot decide whether I need to go home and rest (Iknow I should) or stay here overnight in case something changes. I am leaning towards going home since we live like 20 mintues away, so if I do I will post some pictures. Thanks for praying for us and we appreciate everyone.


FaithCDH said...

Keeping Maxton in our prayers. He is a strong little boy. (((Hugs))


Amy, Steve, ^Faith^ and baby Miles

Stephanie said...

Shawn and I are thinking about Baby Maxton. Remember, he's a fighter, and he has to get through all the tough hurdles, in order to improve. Stay strong! Thinking and praying for you!


Tracy Meats said...

Maxton is in our prayers. Keep fighting little boy. Try to get some sleep tonight, for you need your strength too and not to come down with anything.

Thinking of you and praying for your little boy to overcome these obstacles in his way. Hoping he has a stable night and can let his body rest.

Hugs, Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04

Ashley said...

We are praying for Maxton and you and David! And the rest of the family! We love you!!


Ash, Brett and Sienna

Skunk Works said...

We are keeping Maxton in our prayers and are praying that everything will get better from here, and that he will continue the fight. And we know he will. He has been a fighter through out this. Our thoughts are with you.

Ashley H.

Ashworth Family said...

You should absolutely get rest while you can, and don't feel guilty about it! The team will call you if you need to be there. We can't wait to see pictures!

Dotty said...

many many prayers go out to you and baby Maxton. hang in there little guy! thinking of you all. stay positive, keep faith.
mom to Zach LCDH 10-26-07

casau said...

prayers for all of you guys and his dr's and nurses! you need to get rest so that you can be strong for him! Godd bless!

Fer said...

I am prayimg for Maxton.